Thanks so much to everyone who showed up to make our May 21 Como Lake Clean-Up event a success! We had 32 community members help collect 50 pounds of trash from the lakeshore.
We also had our third Como Community Blood Drive on May 26 at Como Zoo where the Red Cross collected 60 units of blood from nearly 60 donors. Special thanks to our sign-in table volunteers Jessica, Kelly, Betsy, and Judie. The next blood drive will be on Aug. 2.
Como Neighborhood History Project
The D10 Neighborhood Relations Committee in happy to introduce the Como Neighborhood History Project. We’re partnering with St. Kate’s University to explore the history of our Como neighborhoods.
We’ll be collecting stories from our neighbors that have lived here for most of their lives. We are more than the State Fair and Como Park! We are a neighborhood of shops, institutions and families. Let’s collect those stories together!
How you can get involved:
• Dig through your old photos! Share pictures of our neighborhood from the past. We are especially looking for old pictures of businesses, street scenes, homes, or schools that used to be here and are now gone like Sugar Dave’s Drive-Inn at Como and Snelling.
• Help us find neighbors to interview. Suggest a family member, friend, or neighbor that has lived in the D10 community for most of their lives. Help us interview them or we can help with the interview to get their memories saved.
• Design a walking tour. Keep us healthy and fit while we are walking past interesting houses, pieces of art or cool institutions.
• Research and write a story. Help us research the many buildings, institutions, and past events that have shaped our community. Do you have old documents about the history of Como Elementary or Tilden School? Have a story about the old corner store or garden nursery business in your neighborhood, know a house that had interesting or famous folks living there, share them with us!
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to contribute or get involved. Watch for updates at district10comopark.org/history
Como Tree Trek - June 25 - or Self-Guided Anytime
The D10 Environment Committee hosts Tree Treks where community members can learn how to identify and appreciate the multitude of different tree species living in Como Park. Volunteer tree expert Stephanie Mirocha is our fabulous second-generation Tree Trek guide.
In addition to the planned events each year, the Tree Trek program has also created and installed Tree Tags on numerous trees around Como Park for self-guided tree treks. Find out more at district10comopark.org/tree-trek.
Como Lake Clean-Up - June 28
D10 Como Park is planning our next Como Lake Clean-Up for Thursday, June 28, 6-9 p.m. These events, in partnership with the Capitol Region Watershed District, focus on the shoreline and lake itself.
District 10 provides trash-grabbers, rakes, buckets, nets, trash bags, and nitrile gloves for those who need them. Or, feel free to provide your own gear. Registration (before June 27) is not required, but it helps us plan and communicate if changes come up. Register and find out more at District10ComoPark.org/Como-Clean-Up
Annual Ice Cream Social - July 8
Every year, the D10 Neighborhood Relations Committee plans our Ice Cream Social, typically featuring free ice cream, live music, meet-and-greets with neighborhood organizations, and activities for children and families.
The event is at the Historic Streetcar Station in Como Park, 1224 Lexington Pkwy. N. from 5-8 p.m. Because parking is limited, we encourage community members to walk, bike, roll, car-pool, or take public transportation. Bring your neighbors.
This event is still being planned. If you’re interested in helping plan or volunteering at this event you can fill out our volunteer interest form, come to our Neighborhood Relations Committee meetings (1st Tuesdays), or reach out to email@example.com.
Find out more at district10comopark.org/IceCreamSocial.
Renters, homeowners, and other community members are always welcome to participate in District 10’s board and committee meetings. You can find meeting details on our website at District10ComoPark.org.
• June 7, 7 p.m. - Neighborhood Relations Committee
• June 14, 7 p.m. - Environment Committee
• June 21, 7 p.m. - D10 Board Meeting
• July 5, 7 p.m. - Neighborhood Relations Committee
• July 6, 7 p.m. - Land Use Committee
• More upcoming events at district10comopark.org/Events
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here